A few days ago we figured out what our go-to color palette is. Mine tends towards earthy tones, though I do enjoy a bright pop of golden yellow and cadmium red. Using our color palette we started working on some color studies of our chosen full-size color illustration for the picture book. I wasn't sure what medium I wanted to illustrate with so I did a few studies in watercolor (one of which is above) and one in watercolor wash with colored pencil over top. I decided I liked how the watercolor turned out better, so I rolled with it.
I enlarged my pencil drawing and printed it off with archival ink on watercolor paper (fun, new mode of doing things that I had never had access to prior to this semester at Hollins). I then painted over top of the printed drawing. I like being able to see my line-work underneath the watercolor. It adds an extra dimension and texture to the final illustration.
This is the final illustration after a few false starts. False starts are always aggravating, but they are also always informative in getting you on the right path. I am quite happy with how this one turned out and am glad I had to go through all those color studies and attempts to get here.